- Achondroplasia, which means "without cartilage formation", is a greek
- Acohndroplasia is part of a group of disorders called chrondrodystrophies.
- 80% of achondroplasia cases are caused by spontaneous mutations.
- It is one of the most common of all skeletal dysplasias
- Achondroplasia is the most common type of dwarfism, affecting up
to 80% of all little people.
- Most Achondroplastics are double jointed, which is caused by loose
- People with achondroplia usually have normal intelligance
- Men's average height is 51.8 inches tall which is
about 4 ft. 3
- Women's average height is 48.6 inches tall which is about 4 ft.
- Achondroplastics seldom ever reach five feet high.
- Nine out of ten children with achondroplasia have normal sized parents.
- Usually average sized kids with achondroplastic parnts are not at
a higher risk of passing the disease to their children
- Absolute prevention is NOT possible
- The apperance of achondroplasia is apparent at birth.
- Infants who are homozygous achondroplasia rarley live beyond a few
- The greatest shortening occurs in the bone between the shoulder and
elbow (humerus) and the bone between the hip and knee (femur)